December 23, 2017 § Leave a comment
I’ve completed the first round of sanding, but left the ends unsanded ahead of installing the external stems. Because I’m not equipped to steam wood, I thickness planed the strips of ash until I could bend them without fear of breaking the strips.
The next step was to notch the hull where the stem starts. Then it was a matter of applying thickened epoxy (epoxy and wood dust) to the hull and between individual strips. The sandwiched strips are then fastened to the hull using drywall screws. I’ll remove these later, expand the holes, and fill the holes with pieces of dowel.
Next steps are to shape the stems, more hull sanding, filling gaps with thickened epoxy, and then on to fiberglassing.
December 19, 2017 § Leave a comment
The stripping is done and now we’re into the dust.
Overall, I’m happy with the progress thus far. I’d wanted to add another arc to the design on the bottom, but the fates were against me. Uncooperative strips, the difficulty of getting a proper fit while battling the curve, and finally the lack of dark stock. In the end, I finished the halves with straight runs of lighter cedar parallel to the centerline. It’s not exactly what I wanted, but still looks nice.
The next steps are filling small gaps with epoxy/wood dust, installing the outer stems, a lot more sanding, and then (hopefully early in the new year) fiberglassing.
That’s it for now.
December 3, 2017 § Leave a comment
When I last posted, I was in the process of creating the loon inlay and adding strips. Well, the loon is done, and I’m still laying strips.
With the treatment of the football, things are getting interesting again, at least more interesting than simply laying strips. The effect I’m trying to get with this build is the same as I did for an earlier one:
So here it goes.
At first, I placed two glued strips along the center line. Towards the bow and stern, the edges are beveled a little so that they create a slight angle. Then it’s a matter of alternating light and dark strips. A note on the design is that the dark (and light) strips form a continuous line, which decreases as you get to the center of the half-football. The following picture gives you an idea.
At any rate, it’s a finicky bit of business, dry-fitting the pieces, making sure the tapered ends of the strips meet the neighboring strip properly. The other thing to note is that it’s crucial that the two strips that form the center line are exactly in the center. I know too well how a minor miscalculation throws off the design (whereby the points of the football half don’t line up with the other half-football on the other side). Fortunately, things are working out.
That’s it for now.