August 27, 2017 § Leave a comment
Now that the weather is growing cooler, it’s a perfect time to start a new build!
Much of the weekend was spent on prep work — setting up the forms, ripping strips, and fashioning the internal stems.
After an embarrassing mishap with the router last year (the finger has recovered), I decided to invest in some safety hardware to keep my digits away from spinning metal. To that end, I purchased some board buddies to keep the boards down and tight against the fence, and my fingers clear.
I have to tell you, they worked like a charm and I was able to make quick work of (hopefully) enough boards for the canoe. As well, because there is so much variability within the same board, I made sure to keep adjacent strips together.
For the internal stems, I used some left-over cedar strips from another build. I floated them in the bathtub in hot water for several hours to make the strips more pliable (I really have to rig up a steaming device).
Next steps: beveling the stems and starting the build!